Saturday, August 21, 2010

Carrot Cake




We had three birthdays this month at work so I volunteered to bring a cake. I have been wanting to make a carrot cake for a while now and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. I found so many recipes online and was not sure which would be the best one to use. So I improvised and ended up making my own version of the cake. I think I added too many ingredients because the cake turned out a little dense. Other than that, most people thought it was moist and delicious. They all thought I should quit my job and open a bakery. Of course, I told them I would never leave my job. I can't even remember which carrot cake recipe I based this off of except for the fact that I added coconut flakes, raisins (soaked in homemade wine 24hrs prior to using), substituted 1/2 the oil with applesauce, and added about an extra 1/2 cup of carrots. I might have over baked it by about 10 minutes too. Plus the cake was made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. For the topping, I used toasted coconut flakes on top and chopped pecans on the sides of the cake. If I were to make this again next time, I am going to tweak it somehow so that the cake would be lighter in texture.

A two layer carrot cake with pecans - frost with the cream cheese frosting.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups chopped pecans
Preparation:
Measure and sift together all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Blend in the oil and eggs. Fold in grated carrots and chopped pecans. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured round layer cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting

Whipped Cream Cream Cheese Frosting:

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 cup white sugar (I probably used a little more than 1/4 cup only)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions
In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment