Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Green Tea (Matcha) Scone



I came across this recipe one day and wasn't sure about making it.  Since I bought two bags of matcha powder the other day, I thought I should put it to good use.  My gut feeling tells me this might not turn out just because the recipe is not rated/reviewed and also the measurements for the recipe is in gms and ounces, something I am not used to.   Because I was short on time and might run late for work again, I chose this recipe. The instructions are pretty straight forward and simple.  I didn't use that much butter and the batter seemed a little dry from the get go.  I wanted to see the end result so I kept going with it.  I baked it at 350F for about 22 minutes.  I made a little adjustment by adding 2 tablespoons of matcha rather than 1 tsp.  This scone recipe is a little on the salty side.  I prefer just a tad bit sweeter and I am not sure if green tea for scone is a good flavoring.  I don't think I'll make this again at least not for a while. Recipe and pictures to follow.....

Matcha Scones - The Perfect Tea Party Recipe

Makes 8 Scones

Ingredients

250g cake flour (90z.)
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/5 cup milk
1 egg, separated into yolk and white
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon matcha green tea
70g(2 1/2oz.)butter
Strawberry jam and fresh whipped cream to taste.

1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, matcha and sugar.

2. Cut the butter into small pieces. With your fingertips, mix the butter into flour until it becomes dry and flaky.

3. Combine the milk and egg yolk, and pour the mixture into the flour a little at a time. Mix and knead into a moist dough, but not so moist that it becomes sticky.

4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (360 degrees C).

5. Place the dough on a floured board and knead slightly until smooth. Roll out to a thickness of 1 inch (2cm)and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.

6. Brush the tops with a little egg white, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly brown.

7. Cut each scone in half and serve with jam and fresh cream.

This recipe is from 'New Tastes in Green Tea', by Mutsuko Tokunaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment