Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sugar Cookies with Marshmallow Fondant and Royal Icing



This past saturday, I was brave enough to make these sugar cookies, marshmallow fondant, and royal icing from scratch. I had never rolled cookie dough my entire life and was a bit nervous about it. I wasn't really sure how much flour to use and couldn't decide whether to roll it over wax paper or on my counter top. I went with using the wax paper just to keep it from getting too messy. I had the dough refrigerated for more than two hours and it was still a little sticky and hard to roll as it was sticking onto the pin. I had to ask the hubby for help and he gave a good tip...to add more flour... so I did and it worked much better. I had recently bought some cookie cutters for a baby shower and the shapes were so adorable. I had a onesie, bottle, bassinet, rattle, baby foot, and a flower shaped cutter. The first few cut outs were deformed (there's a first for everything). By the time I got to my last batch, I felt like an expert. I was going a lot faster. I must have made 4 or 5 dozens worth of sugar cookies (it was a lot more than I expected). The marshmallow fondant was quite a mess too. I forgot to rub my hands in butter first before kneading the marshmallow and boy was it sticky icky (no kidding!) It took me a good few minutes to get it all off my fingers. When it did, it was a lot easier to handle...much like playdoh. I rolled it, cut it and then placed it on the cookies. It looked really cute. I made a small batch of fondant chocolate flavored just to test out...I think next time, I will add more chocolate to it for deeper/darker brown color and also for a better flavor. I colored some of the icing in blue to use as an outline for the cookies. I could have done whatever design in whatever color I wanted to and it would have turned out nice. I just didn't have the time to play too much with this. I tested out the food coloring just to get a feel for how much to add and I have a pretty good idea now. What a fun day that was for me to make these cookies (just a little tiring). I even got little helpers to assist with rolling and cutting out the cookies and the fondant. End of this month, we'll be making these cookies again.....
Sugar cookies: can't remember which one i used but any recipe should do
Icing recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1961/alices-cookie-icing
Marshmallow Fondant recipe: http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=77236

No comments:

Post a Comment