Sunday, July 11, 2010

Parisian Macarons with Swiss Merengue Filling





I didn't get to comment on this recipe before publishing it. I was uploading a whole bunch of pictures and got a little impatient and tired of waiting for one picture to load at a time. Does anyone know a faster way to upload multiple photos at once? I think I would post more pictures if I could figure out a faster method. So getting back to these macarons, I first learned about these cute little things from the bakerella website but didn't dare to attempt this because I needed a scale to weigh ingredients out if I wanted to be accurate. I don't have a scale and am not ready to purchase one....yet. So I just left the idea. You might ask what is it exactly? I found this in wikipedia that might define it better:

A macaron is a sweet confectionery. Its name is derived from an Italian word "maccarone" or "maccherone". This word is itself derived from ammaccare, meaning crush or beat, used here in reference to the almond paste which is the principle ingredient.[1] It is meringue-based: made from a mixture of egg whites, almond flour, and both granulated and confectionery sugar.

The confectionery is characterized by its smooth, domed top, ruffled circumference, and flat base. Connoisseurs prize a delicate, egg shell-like crust that yields to a moist and airy interior. The French macaron differs from macaroons in that it is filled with cream or butter like a sandwich cookie, and can be found in a wider variety of flavors that range from the traditional (raspberry, chocolate) to the exotic (truffle, matcha tea.

I saw a similar recipe on Martha Stewart's website and it looks a lot easier. I read through her version and thought well maybe I can do this if only I have a block of time to focus just on this. I really didn't know what to expect of this because I have never had a macaron before. Also because my egg beating/whipping technique needs fine tuning. I have had multiple bad experiences working with egg whites. It's really hard for me to tell when the egg whites have turned into a soft peak versus a stiff peak. It's a guessing game everytime and I really don't like doing that which you can understand why. So this recipe says to beat the eggs til it turns a soft peak and I think I did just that. Looking at the outcome of the cookies, I think I might have miscalculated that step or maybe I over folded the ingredients. Whatever the case, mine didn't look quite like the ones you see on the internet. As far as taste goes, I would think it should taste a little like a merengue cookie, light and airy in texture with filling? My filling came out a little on the salty side. While I should have used unsalted butter, I didn't. The salted butter had more salt in it than I thought. I didn't think it was too bad. It was so light, I must have ate 10 in a span of 30min. I think I'll make this again with other types of filling and maybe use food coloring to add some visual appeal.


Recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/parisian-macaroons

No comments:

Post a Comment