Thursday, June 17, 2010

Haupia Cake



So I heard about haupia cake for the first time at work through a coworker, who said that is cake is to die for. I became curious and wondered if I could find this recipe online and I did. I saw a couple of recipes and both were almost exactly the same so I just went with one. Recently I bought round cake pans from Sur La Table just in case I might decide to make a layer cake one of these days for a birthday or something. We celebrate birthdays at work and every month there's at least one birthday. Sure enough we have one this month and I thought I'd go ahead and try this out. I have to make this in three steps, first bake the cake from a box. Then prepare the coconut flavored filling, then make the whipped cream topping. There's a lot of cooling and chilling in between so it took about two hours plus to have this completed. Since this was my first time ever to bake a layer cake, I had no idea how the finished cake was going to look like. I really tried my best to make it look smooth and tried to make it look nice by doing a little decorating but it still needs work as you'll see in the picture. I was quite pleased with the taste, not overly sweet and the cake was moist. Although, next time I might modify the recipe a little. Maybe use fresh coconut juice instead of the canned? I did forget to add coconut flakes to the cake for the finishing touch. I just couldn't believe how forgetful I am becoming even with it laid out on the counter top. Here's the recipe I used: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Haupia-Cake-162911

1 comment: