Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ban Bo


Teresa was kind enough to share this recipe with me. She said hers turned out very moist and soft in the center. I saw a picture of her creation and really liked the idea of baking it in a bundt pan. It looked very pretty and I was convinced that I had to make this in a bundt pan. Of course I don't own one so I went to Harry and David's for something else but saw this while shopping and just couldn't leave without it. So there's my ban bo in a bundt pan. Don't you think it's too pretty to eat? I think I almost like the shape of it more than the taste itself. Anyhow, now that I have a bundt pan, I'll be making plenty of other goodies that's bad for your health but yummy for your taste buds.

1 can of coconut milk --i would use 1/2 can of coconut milk with 1/2 can of water instead.
400 gram of palm sugar (9 cubes) -- i would use about 7-8 cubes instead.
300 gram of tapioca starch
7 eggs lightly beaten
1 Tbs + 1 tsp baking powder

I would do the preparation one night ahead.

I've altered the recipe a bit. I used 1/2 can of the coconut milk and substitute the other half with water. I also cut down a bit on the palm sugar. I used 7 -8 cubes instead.

1. Pour 1/2 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of water in a sauce pan over low heat. Add the palm sugar and melt it in the coconut milk. Let cool completely. This coconut-sugar mixture will be added to the batter later. You do not want to add in hot liquid mixture with the batter. So make sure you let it cool completely. I would let it sit over an ice bath.

2. Lightly beat 7 eggs in a bowl. Just lightly so the yolk is mixed well with the whites.

3. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the tapioca starch and baking powder together.

4. Add the eggs to the tapioca starch mixture. Lightly mix the batter by hand.

5. Add and mix the palm sugar to the batter.

6. With another big bowl, use a strainer and pour the batter through the strainer about 2-3 times. Use a strainer with big holes (about a size of a red bean should be good. Any holes smaller will be difficult for the batter mixture to pass through) I would do this about 2-3 times so that the eggs are really broken up with the batter.

7. Let the batter sit overnight.

8. Set oven at 375 degrees.

9. Grease the baking pan. Add batter to the baking pan

10. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment