Thursday, July 22, 2010

Apple Pie with Whole Wheat Crust



I totally forgot that I made this on one of the weekends for work. I had bought a big ol' bag of granny smith apples from Sam's Club probably more than a week ago and they were just sitting on my countertop day after day waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Originally, I thought maybe I'll make two apple pies at a time so I might as well have enough apples around. I wasn't feeling up to the task and didn't have the time either so the green apples just sat there. I have other fruits in the same basket so it was ripening faster than fast. The quickest way to handle them was to cut it up and eat it fresh. It was sweeter than I thought and my boys really liked them too. Between me and the boys, we ate almost half of the bag :) I am just glad we were able to consume it and not let it go to waste. I still had a few more, so I made this pie using Krystin's recipe that she found from the internet. I didn't peel the apples just because I wanted to try something new. I am not so sure I like the apple filling with skin on. The skin didn't cook very well and has a slightly rough texture to it. I think I'll just stick to the original recipe next time just to be safe.

Apple Pie Recipe

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 to 8 Tbsp ice water

Cut up the pieces of butter into small squares. Stick 'em in the freezer for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
Throw the butter in and mix some more.
Slowly add the ice water by tablespoons until you get a nice mealy texture. I ended up using about six tablespoons.
Dump the mixture onto a clean work surface and kneed a few times.
Shape into two discs.
Place into ziplock bags and chill in refrigerator until ready to use (but at least for 1 hour!).

For the Filling:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4-6 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (I used 4)

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add flour to create a paste. Add water and sugars, mix well. Let mixture simmer for a few minutes.


Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment